I'm sure you're all trying to figure out which of the bazillion showings of Pirates 3 you're going to go to this weekend, but I had to take a second to "give props" to this week's season finale of Lost.
Simply put: yes.
While the season finale of Heroes can only be described as anti-climactic (even with Hiro heading way back into the past to kick off season 2), Lost just hit a complete home run. It's interesting how the second half of Lost really picked up the pace (while still posing new questions) almost as if it was responding to how well people were reacting to Heroes. By the finale, they had found the perfect balance - creating the mysteries that Lost mythology requires, while answering questions and moving the plot along quickly a la Heroes.
- They broke their flashback rule in a very innovative way, even if it wasn't a complete surprise. (Go look at the name of the funeral home again - Hoffs Drawlar) My question is: how far into the future is that? Is that the end of the show? Is that a few weeks from now? Is that season five? I could certainly see scenarios where that is how they finally end the show, but I can also see how that could be a turning point halfway through, and the remaining episodes would be about trying to get back to the island and/or finding closure.
- Seriously, Sayid broke that guy's neck with his feet.
- Mikhail getting harpooned by Desmond. (For what it's worth, I remember the last time I made a scuba diving escape from an underwater secret facility after getting a harpoon to the chest. It's not as hard as it sounds.)
- Charlie writing "Not Penny's Boat" on his hand. And yes, he could have gotten out and survived, but Charlie clearly believed that he had to die so the rest of the cast could live.
- Hurley driving the VW bus through the Others to save the day.
- Who was in the coffin? "Friend or family?" "Neither." Kate: Ausie"Why would I go to the funeral?"
- Beautiful Kate getting out of the car at the airport.
- Jack pummeling the living crap out of Ben.
- Ben and Alex's two moments - "I didn't want him to get you pregnant" and "Meet your mother"
- Sawyer shooting Tom in cold blood. That's the third time he's killed someone who couldn't defend himself...
- Walt? WTF? My take on it is that's not the real Walt. He's one of those illusions (i.e. Jack's dad, Kate's horse, Ben's mom, Eko's brother) that the island seems to serve up to certain people when it needs to do so.
For those of you who need more and can't get enough, here are a ton of interviews, recaps, closeups of the newspaper clipping that sent Jack off the edge, and more: